Georgia’s Fair Debt Collection Practices Act
Under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, the law protects consumers against certain tactics and procedures that debt collectors may try in the pursuit of payment. These protections include:
- Protection against harassment - including excessive phone calls, abusive language, and threats of violence, harm or arrest
- Allowing you to seek proof that you owe money the debt collector wants or is representative of
- Prohibiting the disclosure of your debt to anyone who is not officially authorized to know about your debt
- Prohibiting contact from the collector at inconvenient times - which is usually specified as before 8:00 am and after 9:00 pm
- Allowing you to sue the collector either individually or in a class action if they violated the law
Along with these protections, the state of Georgia has a statute of limitations that legally limits the length of time lenders and collectors can sue for non-payment. The max limitation limit is 6 years after payment is due.
What a Credit Card Lawyer Can Do For You
Depending on your specific situation, you should hire an attorney to help you defend against creditors and to help you settle your debts. If you meet with an attorney and don’t decide to settle with the credit card company, your attorney can make you aware of your rights and advise your decisions moving forward.
If you are not the person who owes the debt but are still being sued or harassed, you need an attorney to represent you and to establish that you are not responsible and the collector must cease any further contact.
As mentioned above, a credit card debt attorney can help you negotiate a settlement for your debts that you can reasonably pay. You will need strong representation and sound legal advice if you want to be successful in obtaining a favorable settlement, and I want to lend my expertise to your cause.
The Right Attorney For Your Case
Having practiced law for over two decades and I have helped individuals, businesses and families overcome credit card debt. My years of experience have truly given me the skills and expertise you need to fight for the most favorable outcome possible.
When you work with my firm, you get the personalized attention and service that your case deserves and your best interests will always be a top priority. Don’t wait to get the help you need. Call my office today and schedule and free consultation.